What Causes Blemishes?
Acne starts occurring during puberty due to hormonal changes that can cause excessive oil production. Too much oil can clog up your pores, and along with bacteria, can cause the development of acne. In order to get blemish-free skin, remember the following:
1. Before anything else, you need to have a skin care regimen. Firstly, cleanse your face two to three times a day by washing it with gentle cleansers. Look for facial cleansers which can remove impurities without drying your skin. Use warm water to open up your pores to allow the cleanser to penetrate deep into your skin, and then rinse with cold water to seal your pores. After washing, apply a skin toner to remove any deep-seated dirt that remains in your face after washing it. Toners can also tighten clean pores and retain your skin’s pH balance. Lastly, moisturize to keep your skin from drying.
2. Popping and pricking your pimples may be tempting and can cause the swelling to go down, but did you know that these can actually cause blemishes? Your hands are hotspots for dirt and bacteria since you use them for almost every type of activity. Everything you touch contains germs and bacteria, and dirt may reside along the tops of your fingernails. Resist the urge to prick your pimples and avoid touching your face.
3. Eat healthier foods such as carrots, tomatoes, citrus fruits, and those with Omega-3 fatty acids. Your skin will become healthier and glowing if you consume fruits and green leafy vegetables as they contain vitamins which can help in treating your acne. In fact, drinking a glass of carrot juice everyday can be effective in getting rid of blemishes.
4. If you want to use makeup to hide your blemishes, the concealer is your best friend. Concealer is a type of foundation makeup that is used to hide unwanted spots and dark circles on your eyes. Choose a concealer with a yellowish color to cover red pimples. For darker blemishes, use a lighter color. Apply the concealer using a brush or a sponge (never your fingers!), and blend it evenly across the skin.
5. You can also try home remedies. Create a facial mask with oatmeal by mixing ¼ cup of honey with a single serving of oatmeal. Oatmeal is effective in exfoliating, while honey acts as a skin toner. Allow the mixture to cool and then apply it all over the face (except for the eyes). Leave it for as long as 20 minutes.
6. Mixing tomato juice together with lemon juice can help lighten your skin tone and decrease the appearance of blemishes. Put the mixture inside the refrigerator, and apply it on your face with a cotton ball everyday.
7. Wrap an ice cube in a wash cloth and hold it against the blemish for as long as five minutes to reduce redness and inflammation. This type of remedy can help improve your complexion as well. Getting rid of blemishes has never been this easy!
About Kenwood Porter writes about beauty and other topics for a number of online publications. Visit his favorite Beverly Hills dermatologist for more information on how to look your best.