- One good remedy to induce vomiting is original coca-cola. Let it stand till it becomes completely flat, drink two big glasses of it every hour and then have water. Repeat this for sometime. This method was first used by soldiers in the U.K.
- Complete bed rest is advisable to preserve energy, as your body needs it to heal itself.
- Drink some warm water with lemon juice in it. It will soothe your stomach.
- Have black tea with burned toasts. Instead of having normal tea, have ginger tea, herbal tea, caraway tea or green tea.
- Avoid eating spicy and fatty food.
- Eat green vegetables or fruits.
- Even cinnamon is a good remedy against food poisoning. Either have it in your tea, or mix some cinnamon powder with boiled water and have it 2-3 times a day.
- Eat aniseed; it is also known to decrease acidity. Stay away from pepper, until you feel better.
- Steer clear from milk, coffee, drinking and smoking. These may worsen the situation.
- If you are suffering from nausea, limit your diet to soups and clear liquids.
- Grate ginger and have it with some honey (your grandma must have told you about this one). You may also have some ginger juice with lime water, to get instant relief from vomiting.
- To get relief from nausea, keep a clove between your teeth for sometime.
- Have some roasted nutmeg powder and drink hot water after it. You may also have homemade yogurt, added with 2-3 basil leaves extract to it.
- Prepare a mixture by adding 1 tsp edible gum, 1 tsp poppy seeds, 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder, 1 tsp cardamom powder, and 2 tsp sugar; grind to powder form. Take this powder, every two hours.
- Take a raw papaya, grate it or cut it into small pieces; add it to 1-2 glasses of water. Boil this mixture, drain it and have it 2-3 times in a day.
- Due to diarrhea and vomiting, your body tends to get dehydrated, so remember to keep yourself as much hydrated as possible.
- Have sports drinks or fortified bottled water, for replacing the body’s lost electrolyte. Popsicles and frozen juice bars are also a good option.
- During poisoning due to food, the potassium count in the body becomes considerably low; this could turn out to be fatal. Eat a banana (Oh, come on! It’s just one!!), they are very good source of potassium.
- Avoid taking pain killers for stomach pain. Instead, place heating bags or hot water bottles on your stomach for relief from pain.
- Drink a glass of water mixed with ¼ cup charcoal powder.
- Take 10-15 cumin and fenugreek seeds each, powder it, mix it in water and have it. This gives relief from abdominal pain and vomiting.
- After feeling better, don’t immediately start having a heavy diet; stay away from spicy or fried food, meat and alcohol. Having soup is a good option; they are tasty and easy to digest.
The best possible remedy for food poisoning is prevention. If possible, avoid eating fast food. Eat fresh and well-cooked food. Always cover the food and heat it before eating. Wash your hands frequently. Don’t re-use the leftover oil in the pan. Everyday, after getting up, have some hot water with lemon juice; this will detoxify your body.
About Gauri Waikar.has studied English literature and love to write.Interests and Hobbies:
Besides writing, I like reading and I am also a trained dancer.