1. Improved moisture content. The skin’s moisture content is one of the things that accounts for its softness and firmness. The skin tends to become drier as we age. That is particular true for post-menopausal women. Decreased estrogen production has an effect on the skin’s moisture content.
Because of that, there are some creams on the market containing estradiol. Doctors have come out warning against the use of estradiol creams, because they can stimulate the growth of existing breast cancer tumors.
There are many natural solutions that are known to improve the skin’s moisture content. Grape seed oil, Shea butter and olive oil are among them.
An active form of a protein called keratin is particularly beneficial according to several studies. Not only has it been shown to improve the skin’s moisture content, but also the skin’s ability to retain moisture. In other words, it has a healing effect.
2. Improved elasticity. Bioactive keratin was shown in another study to improve elasticity by 40% after 18 days of use. This cannot be due solely to the effects on moisture content. The research team says that it’s not.
3. Stimulate production of elastic fibers. According to the team, a daily anti aging cream containing bioactive keratin can stimulate the body to produce more new elastic fibers, something that usually slows down with age.
The elastic fibers are composed of elastin and collagen. Another natural ingredient has been shown to increase the amount of collagen present in the skin in at least one study. That ingredient is avocado oil.
Avocado oil is usually found in nighttime creams, because it is a little too heavy for use during the day and also because the skin’s reparative processes go on at night.
4. Reverse wrinkles. A daily anti aging cream containing a nano-emulsion form of coenzyme Q10 has been shown to reduce wrinkles in several studies. In one, the reduction was observed in volunteers with sun damage. A 30% reduction in wrinkle depth was seen.
5. Protect against and reverse sun damage. Coenzyme Q10, sulfated polyfucose and other antioxidants will help protect against sun damage. Only the nano-emulsion form has been shown to reverse it. But, you might find a daily anti aging cream that contains sulfated polyfucose and other antioxidants anyway. They can’t hurt and could be beneficial.
6. Increase hyaluronic acid levels. Hyaluronic acid is a compound responsible for the skin’s strength and smoothness. It is something like glue, working to bond the skin’s cells together and make the layers practically waterproof.
The skin’s hyaluronic acid levels normally become lower with age. Extracts from wakame kelp have been shown to inhibit hyaluronic acid breakdown and allow the levels to rise again. Wakame also contains sulfated polyfucose.
These are only some of the things that a daily anti aging cream can do for you. Why not give it a try and see the benefits for yourself. Just remember that it’s all about the ingredients.
About Valerie Rosenbaum is an expert author on the topic of natural skin care. After years of research, the skin care products she recommends use a proprietary blend of all natural ingredients in the best anti wrinkle creams.